vendredi 30 janvier 2009

I've been obsessed with Kid Cudi...

...ever since before he signed to A-Trak's label Fools Gold. When I heard he moved to Air Yeezy's GOOD, I thought to myself, "Awesome, he's totally going to make it!" However, when I expressed these sentiments to my partner-in-electro-crime, iKat, he solemnly replied, "Yah, but it means he's going to get TOO big. It's Kanye for God's sake." I contemplated this for a few minutes, but I don't think I fully grasped what he was saying--UNTIL NOW.

WOE IS ME.

It's not the fact that everyone now knows who he is that bothers me--WAIT. Actually, that's exactly the problem. One one hand, I want to be a supportive fan and be happy that he's become successful. I take pride in knowing that I was listening to his music wayyy before he was on the radio. But on the other hand, I pains me to realize that things won't be like how they were before:

CS, iKat and I making a pit stop at a sketch Coffee Time on Queen during out trek to go see his show in a REALLY small, borderline half-empty bar in Parkdale. (It really was half empty...actually, when we got there, there were like maybe 10(!) ppl in the bar). Dancing on the empty dance floor to a super sick DJ whose name I don't know but wish I did. Thinking back, that night was surreal. The DJ was SOOOO GOOD. Like, SO GOOD. Maybe, THE BEST I've ever heard in T.O. Next to us were these girls who killed it: popping and locking in roller-skating outfits circa 1980. Finally, after dancing and drinking while people slowly trickled in (including another friend AN who somehow managed to smuggle in a 40 of vodka and subsequently was openly drinking it straight from the bottle during the show), KC finally took to the stage. The thing you have to understand is that the stage was maybe the size of two king-sized beds stuck together...and about a foot off the ground. So he was RIGHT THERE. And at one point, we were all on the stage too. After Hollywood Holt performed and the house DJ came back, my friends and I noticed KC standing like maybe three feet away from us talking to some people. So, naturally, I'm the one whose afraid to go talk to him. BUT (fortunately) CS pushed me towards him, grabbed my camera, and asked him for me, to be in a pic. He was obvi totally nice and after the photo, he started talking to me. In said convo he actually told me he liked my hair. (I think I died inside. Major crush). Anywhoo, after iKat and AN conversed with him, we all headed home.

SEE! WHEN WILL THIS HAPPEN AGAIN?!?!?!?!?! The only time he was in TO between then and now, he performed at the BRANT HOUSE. Which makes it obvious how TIMES HAVE CHANGED. And, as much as I wanted to see him, couldn't muster up enough je-ne-sais-quoi to actually go to BH and pay how much and dress how? GAH.

And what makes it worse is that one friend on msn has his song lyrics as her personal message, while a co-worker keeps telling me that when he comes back to TO we should compete (who says this??) for him and that I don't have a chance b/c he'd choose her over me. Um. NO.

NO.

NO.

NO.

See the issue?

3 commentaires:

jsnflk a dit...

i feel the same way. about many artists that got big. too big. it hurts.
remember jno? i can't even stand to go to his gigs anymore. it's disgusting...then there's jamie cullum...
peter's still under the radar, but not.

ouch. i hate that internal dilemma about feeling good for someone and then hating it.

Tara a dit...

I only know one song - Day 'N' Nite. Is that what made him big?

kar a dit...

Ya, Day 'N' Nite is the one released on radio.