lundi 1 mars 2010

Dear Canadian mens hockey team,

Thanks.

Love,
Karleen


Seriously.

I know some friends who were against the Olympics in Vancouver, and even though there are ethical and political issues with the Games, you cannot deny that the pride and joy felt by Canadians both here on home soil and around the world is anything short of AMAZING. If I hadn't been watching the final medal ceremony on the train back from Montreal, I would have cried watching our mens hockey team watch our flag being lifted to gold standards during Oh Canada. And if I hadn't had work at 7am, I would have been out celebrating with the tens of thousands of Torontonians who, despite (I admit) our Canada-revolves-around-us-stuck-up-city-folk attitude, flooded the streets in an unorthodox show of emotion. Obviously there will be repurcussions to hosting the world in your backyard, but I think the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games was a mission accomplished. At the very least, they united our country; at most they united the world. And if all else fails, and we're still drowning in debt 2o years from now, hopefully we can still say that we are proud to be CANADIAN.

Aucun commentaire: