mercredi 3 mars 2010

So now what?: Work edition.

I've been feeling bored and unchallenged in all aspects of life lately. I'm just so blase with school, work and everything in between.

I mean, I know I work retail and therefore shouldn't really care, but I still can't help but feel unstimulated at work. I'm technically in a pretty important position, but before the whole 'changing of the guard', when we had a small payroll budget, I wasn't given much responsibility. They needed to save money, so instead of having 2 or 3 associates on the womens floor, they would have just me. Makes sense right? But it sucked for me. I mean, I was just doing the same job that I was doing before I got promoted, just by myself. Talk about lonely. And not only would I be alone for half the day (and our store is big so juggling fits, runs, and customers toute seule was annoying), but I'd always leave grumpy and mad (mainly because when I did work with people, they'd be useless because they werent being trained properly because they barely had shifts because we had a small payroll). It made me hate being at work.

Due to women's sets (when we change the layout of the store to reflect the season) and the fact that we're missing staff from the merch team, I've been given more responsibility. And I love it. It's fun and challenging being allowed to decide where things go and making things look pretty. I like not doing runs for 8 hours or standing alone in fits with nothing to do because I finished everything already. I mean, if I was 'different' I should like being paid more to do the same amount of work. But I'm not.

Fast forward to last week when I expressed desire to switch positions. That is, to switch full-time into the department that gets to decide where things go and makes things look pretty. I pretty much told them that I was bored. And that I've liked my job the past few weeks. Unfortunately today, they told me I can't have the job. =( Big bummer. Technically, I'd be demoted if they gave it to me because my position leads to management whereas merch does not. And my position actually supervises a team whereas merch does not. They said I "am too strong to take out of womens." BIG BUMMER. During the talk they mentioned how they really like what I've been doing, and that they're not trying to punish me by making me stay in womens. Its just that "they need me to stay in a more important position" because "of all of the stuff going on right now" [i.e. half of the management team leaving].

It totally sucks, but I was kind of expecting it. They did mention that technically my job should include merching womens and it just wasnt like that because we didn't have enough staff. So hopefully my position gets better. They did say that if I get bored again I should tell them. They dont want me to be in the same routine that I was in before.

Fast forward an hour when I was told that I should apply to be management. Talk about a 180. I've never wanted to be a manager, it sucks the life and soul out of you. The only reasons why I'd do it is 1) the money, 2) it'd look good on a resume and 3) because a bunch of people from within the store (who are under me in position) have applied and they a) have all worked at urbs for less than i have, b) i dont think they have what it takes and c) i would have problems working below them.

These are all bad reasons, non? So I'm not going to do it. The opportunity will arise again, and then who knows, maybe then I'll do it.

In short, I'm bored with work and hoping for a change.

1 commentaire:

Miss Monique a dit...

Oh Karleen. It seems like you have been going through a lot at work.
I can see you enjoying merch due to the visual displays, adjusting and positioning attire together as well as layouts. That's unfortunate that they think it would be a demotion for you if you took that position, because if you enjoy it, you enjoy it, but at the same time it is flattering for you that think so highly of you for management. I think you should consider it because if you are bored at work it will give you more responsibility, delegation, you definitely will not be bored, and like you said it looks good on your resume. Very good experience. You never know you might holding some power in that position. Don't totally throw it out of the water.
P.S. Congratulations on your promotion1